Friday, August 22, 2008
I'm not perfect
I read a number of blogs...more than I probably even realize or care to admit. Some are of people I actually know, while many other are of people I only know through their blogs. Blogs give us a glimpse into a family's everyday life. They are so addictive because they play into our innate voyeuristic tendencies. They make us laugh and cry and cheer and hope and pray for people we don't even know. I don't know if this is good or bad, but I have to say that I really enjoy peeking into peoples' lives and seeing their families grow. However, I must admit something...blogs also make me a bit insecure. I think that despite the best efforts of well-intentioned mommy bloggers to portray real bits of their lives, blogs often display only the choicest bits when it really comes down to it. Digital photography allows us to take hundreds of pictures in one afternoon, leaving only the best ones & most artistic ones to post for the world to see. So our kids look to the world the way we want them to. And, of course, we write what we want to write...so our lives often look pretty darn great. Even those terribly hard parenting moments can be portrayed with a dose of sarcasm and wit...so easy to do in retrospect and in writing. All of this amounts to what I call "blogger insecurity" -- the feeling that your own family just doesn't measure up to the others you see in bloggy land. Admit it...you have felt the same way, right? That other families do cooler things, that other kids wear nicer clothes, that other houses are nicer, that other moms seem to enjoy their kids more, do nicer crafts...blah blah blah. I swear, it is harder than the normal comparisons that we all make to our friends and our friends' kids, because at least with actual live friends we can see the bad with the good. But with blogs, it is often just the good we see.
Anyway, I was thinking of all this today during a particularly difficult morning with my kids. I won't go into the boring specifics, but let's just say it was the kind of day in which I canceled a playdate and stayed in my pajamas until 2pm because I was just trying to do my best to mind the shop here without losing my mind. So I decided to start something called the "I'm not perfect" post in the hopes of starting something out there in blogland...something that will hopefully peel back some of the layers of our lives and let those people who peek into our lives see the ugliness, and I suppose in that the inherent beauty, of our regular lives. So here's the deal...if you decide you want to do this, too, pick up your camera RIGHT NOW. Go around your house and take a picture of everything that you would normally never, ever show on your blog. Be sure to include a self-portrait. And then post the photos (captions optional) in a post entitled, simply, "I'm not perfect." It is a liberating admission. Feel free to link to this post if you don't feel like explaining to your readers why you're doing this. Oh and if you do this and you don't know if I am a regular reader of your blog, please leave me a comment to let me know you did this. And pass it on...encourage all your readers to do the same. Together, we can start a revolution!
Ok, without further ado, a snapshot of my life from this morning:
Posted by Sara at 8:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Your cell phone charger was in Jeff's car, between the front seats....wasn't it?
Mom
Sara,
You don't know me (friend of a friend from Bloggy-land) but I enjoy "peeking" into your life-by-blogging site from time to time!
And, boy, YES, I think ALL of us moms (surely not just the two of us) have had more days than we care to admit like the one you had. Bravo to you for having the courage to post the "unsightly". Yes, it's true that our blog postings are filtered by us and our views on that day, but I also try to add in some of the good,the bad and the ugly of "domestic drudgery". Sadly, I have spent most of my sunday afternoon cleaning up around the house and folding laundry, so there are no post-worthy pictures of household messes. But, I applaud your encouragement of others to "keep it real" and trust me, the day will come when I post my "I'm not perfect" post!
Take care,
kalani
(you can find my link on Hugh's blog)
Sara,
You don't know me (friend of a friend from Bloggy-land) but I enjoy "peeking" into your life-by-blogging site from time to time!
And, boy, YES, I think ALL of us moms (surely not just the two of us) have had more days than we care to admit like the one you had. Bravo to you for having the courage to post the "unsightly". Yes, it's true that our blog postings are filtered by us and our views on that day, but I also try to add in some of the good,the bad and the ugly of "domestic drudgery". Sadly, I have spent most of my sunday afternoon cleaning up around the house and folding laundry, so there are no post-worthy pictures of household messes. But, I applaud your encouragement of others to "keep it real" and trust me, the day will come when I post my "I'm not perfect" post!
Take care,
kalani
(you can find my link on Hugh's blog)
Brava! I think your I'm-not-perfect-ness is perfectly imperfect. I love your spirit and honesty. Good for you!
Sara - Good for you! I would post a picture of myself right now, but I took off my maternity pants b/c they were just way too constricting. They are nearby, in case someone comes to the door. Of course I hope that does not happen because we have dozens of boxes in our living room right now from the cleaning out process that started 4 weeks ago and has no end in sight. Also, there are a million blocks between here and the front door, so it would take me a while to get there. I can only imagine what this place is going to look like when we have two kids!! Hopefully I will at least be able to tolerate wearing pants all day. You are an inspiration with your two girls, and I appreciate the honesty!
love this. as you know, i did it... BUT, yes, did omit the self portrait... maybe next time. so- your thoughts.... once a month post, every week, what? i like this alot.
Sara - Hang in there! I do not know how you do it! Love you!
Oooh! Fun idea. I stumbled upon this post and will take you up on the challenge to do it on my own blog. Hope to get to that sometime this weekend.
Post a Comment